Section 8 Vouchers

What is the Section 8 Voucher program?
Section 8 is a government-funded program that helps low-income households pay the rent on private, market-rate rental units.

How does it work?
After you receive a voucher from a Housing Authority (click to see the map), you search and find a unit (within certain requirements). The rent you will pay will be 30% to 40% of your household’s adjusted gross income. A Housing Authority will pay a portion of the rent directly to the property. If you move, the voucher moves with you. To qualify for a Section 8 voucher, you must fall within Minnesota’s income limits.
* Example of rent at 30% of income: Household with one full-time worker at $7.25/hour might pay $348 per month.

How do I apply?

Although the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds the Section 8 program, it is administered by local housing authorities or other affiliated organizations. You will need to contact the housing authority  where you want to live to get on a Section 8 Voucher waiting list (should one of the waiting lists be open). Waiting lists for vouchers are often long or closed. HousingLink cannot tell you about your individual status on a waiting list, but we do maintain a list of which housing authorities have waiting list openings.

Do I qualify?

To qualify for a Section 8 voucher, you must fall within Minnesota’s income limits.

I have a voucher. How do I find a place that will accept it?
  • You still have to apply for a unit at a rental property. Some properties may choose not to accept vouchers.
  • Go to our home page to begin searching for available units.
    1. Select the counties and/or cities where you can use your voucher.
    2. Click "Search".
    3. On the Search Results page, click on the "Section 8 Voucher Accepted" column heading.
    4. Contact any of the listings with a green check mark.
  • The housing authority will give you guidelines that identify an eligible rent amount.
  • Most properties will require a credit, criminal, and rental history check.
  • The unit must pass an inspection before you can move in and the subsidy payments can start.
Christina Quote